Developing game-changing technologies, processes and products
Combining the forces of leading academic and in-house researchers – with decades of global experience in marine biotechnology; engineering; and biomedical, food and nutritional science – Thai Union’s Global Innovation Center (GIC) is modernizing the seafood industry.
Launched in 2015, the R&D facility in Bangkok, Thailand deploys unconventional investigation of seafood to:
- Enhance product quality,
nutritionand consumer satisfaction.
- Accelerate our sustainability through smarter utilization of fishery resources, optimization of processes and technology, and value creation of byproducts.
- Create new corporate revenue streams from research and development tailored for new business growth.
Global footprint, local insights
Our team of industry experts stationed worldwide applies local consumer insights and market trends to emerging products,
Collaboration for innovation
In a unique partnership with Mahidol University, Kasetsart University, King Mongkut University of Technology Thonburi, Naresuan University of Technology, and Prince of Songkla University in Thailand, the GIC leverages knowledge transfer between academia and industry. Working under the supervision of academic advisors, eligible Thai Union employees continue their education and conduct GIC research simultaneously, ultimately earning post-graduate degrees.
This public-private partnership embeds validity within the GIC, offers universities industry exposure, maintains low costs through shared use of facilities, and builds valuable intellectual property for all involved.
Seamless design embodies philosophy, catalyzes connection
The GIC’s independent yet interconnected facilities include laboratories for chemistry, nutrition, and product innovation and development; a pilot factory; and office, meeting and event spaces.
Fluidity – central to the sleek, open design – underscores the space’s purpose
The GIC’s design also reflects our commitment to diversity. We believe a variety of backgrounds, interests, ages, genders and ethnicities combine to yield powerful, forward-thinking approaches from which we derive our success.
Did you know?
- With an investment of over THB 600 million, products and services originating from the GIC are projected to contribute as much as 10 percent of Thai Union's top-line revenue by the year 2020.
- The GIC has expanded to cover 1,200
square-meters– double its current size – and invested over THB 100 million in new research equipment.
- In 2015, our fundamental research on tuna received national recognition from the government of Thailand.
- We seek strategic innovation partnerships with institutions – private and public – around the world. Alpha88 | Online CasinoStay tuned for more information.
Innovation is critical to advancing Thai Union’s growth to the next level. It plays an important role in shaping the future of the company as it gives us an uncompromising competitive advantage.
Dr. Tunyawat Kasemsuwan
Global Innovation Director